Printer Friendly Version:
Garrett Hack Seminar - Tool and Material List
This list is for members that will be attending the Garrett Hack 2-day hands-on sessions on Monday/Tuesday February 25/26, 2019. Garrett has recommended students bring the following tools and materials to the class.
- Block plane
- #4 or similar bench plane
- Several chisels, 1/4”, 1/2”, 3/4” and any you own that are very narrow (1/16”)
- Mallet or hammer to drive chisels
- Fine saw (dovetail saw)
- Card scraper
- Round chain saw file, 1/8 – 5/16” diameter, and flat mill file 8 – 10” long (for making scratchstocks)
- Students will need to bring a nice board of cherry (best), walnut, maple, mahogany to practice on, roughly 4 – 6” wide, 16- 20” long, planed to 1” – 3/4”.
- We will need some inlay materials. I can supply these, or students can bring some of their own, in which case we will need a bandsaw to work them to useful dimension. Maybe they have a nice piece of crotch or figure they would like to work with, or learn to make stringing from a chunk of rosewood.
- We will also need steel for our tools, which I can also bring. I use old handsaws and sometimes bandsaw steel. Cutting it up is the difficult part.